Monday, October 18, 2010


It was a hard decision as to whether Mr. Doc and I were going to see Red or Jackass 3-D. I was excited about both but it was late when we finally got to the theater and I was not looking forward to an hour and half of headache inducing 3-D, so Red it was.

And it was a GREAT choice. I've never read the graphic novel so I don't know how well it was adapted but as an action movie, it kicked major butt. Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, and Helen Mirren are all actors I have seen before. But I am new to the work of John Malkovich, and I have to say, I LIKE him. He was crazy without being painful and funny without being annoying. Plus, he is totally Mr. Doc's best friend in like 40 years.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the late bloomer Karl Urban. I first watched him kick ass as Eomer in the LOTR series, and I loved him then. I enjoyed his performance in Star Trek as well, but this, this was a GREAT role for him.

I have already decided that he needs to throw his hat in the ring for the role of Roland in the The Dark Tower movies/tv series.

Red was action packed, funny, with just a little bit of emotion thrown in, a perfect mix. My favorite bits include John Malkovich launching himself at Bruce Willis and Mary-Louise Parker, Bruce Willis beating the crap out of Karl Urban and Brian Cox macking on Helen Mirren.

All in all, definitely worth a watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment